Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Q & A

So I have been getting some emails lately asking how I go about things, and a bunch of other general questions. I thought I would take a few minutes to answer some.


Q#1. What type of camera do you have?

A: I have a few cameras that I use. My main body is a Nikon D700. I also use a Fuji S5. I would like to get my hands on a Nikon D3x.

Q#2. What type of lenses do you use?

A: Lyndee (my awesome assistant) and I have collected some great new lenses. We have a
28-70mm F2.8, 15-55mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8 (my personal favorite), 85mm F1.8, 50mm F1.4, 60mm F2.8 macro, and a lens baby kit.

Q#3. Do you use a lot of Photoshop?

A: I use Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop. My rule of thumb is to try and only spend the same amount of time in post production that I did during the actual session. Sometimes I spend more, sometimes I spend less. I would say that I use Lightroom 70% of the time and Photoshop 30%. I have everything in actions and presets but sometimes I just have to add my own personal touch.

Q#4. Do you use light modifiers and/or flash?

A: Of course I do. Now, every situation is different and every subject is different so I think it is important to understand how to use anything...I have even used a flashlight when needed. The last few shoots I have been using an off camera light set up because I am finding that I am really liking having a little bit of "directional" fill light for portraits. Directional meaning that I can move the light where I want it and create contrast and depth. I use Nikon Speedlights, a variety of softboxes and umbrellas, and pocket wizards for wireless transmitting. I also use reflectors, but most importantly I look for natural reflectors and fill when on location. I have some studio light too but it is pretty rare that I get it out. Someday I will have a formal studio.

Q#5. What is your favorite and least favorite thing to photograph?

A: Hmm...I just love pretty much everything about photography. Hands down my favorite thing to photograph is High School Seniors, and Engagement sessions. Why? Because High School Seniors are so into fashion and themselves that they really put a lot of thought and effort into the session. Engagement sessions because it just plain rocks when two people are head over heels in love. Someday I would like to expand into a little commercial photography too and do a lot of still products and such too.

My least favorite is probably Large Family Sessions. I still enjoy photographing large families but it is hard to really feel creative when creating that type of portrait. But everyone needs a family photo for Grandma!

Q#6. How to you balance photography and everyday life?

A: Hard one to answer, I am not very good at the balancing act...but I am learning quickly. I have been photographing people for about 7 years and I do love it! I started with the big Medium Format Film cameras after graduation and then moved into the digital era. I've never really "pushed" my business until last year, I took out a small business loan invested in more equipment and got serious about making this a viable business. I have the necessary experience and education, but I have not been able to master all of the business aspects I need to. Anyone with children knows that it is hard to work from home. I try to dedicate certain days to photography, and schedule things around my family's events. I've also learned to say "No" a lot more than I did before.


----------------------------------------------
Thanks, hopefully some of these answers can help those of you who have asked.

No comments: